Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Things I find ________________ about Tonga. Fill in the blank.


Things I find hilarious about Tonga:

I met a fella named Sydney and I noticed a tattoo on his arm. The tattoo is the name of his village, Kolomotu'a, and the numbers 213. 213 was my area code in Los Angeles and I suspected that the numbers had an LA influence. I asked Sydney what the numbers stood for and he said, "You know....Tupaki?" He is talking about Tupac. I thought it was funny. Anyway, we share music now. He also likes Selena.

How telling white lies is considered a Tongan tradition.

In the office, when I make a phone call to the Prime Minister's office and am put ON HOLD, the waiting music is "Ice Cream Truck" music.

You know the Britney Spears driving with baby in hand incident? It happens all the time in Tonga. It is normal.

Faka'uha. It means rain bath. 'Uha means rain. When it rains in Tonga, people and kids shower in the rain with soap. I haven't done it yet, but I am getting ready for the next down-pour. It is going to be fun.

If you do your laundry on Sunday!!! you have to hide in your house and hang your clothes to dry inside the house. Otherwise your village will talk and say you are a bad Christian for working on the Sabbath. I haven't done this myself, I just know people who have.


Things I love about Tonga:

The little kids. They are so cute when they speak Tongan and when they dress up with the traditional Tongan wear for special events.

The ice cream.

The singing.

The night sky.




Things I find annoying about Tonga:

The dogs.

When mosquitoes wake me up at night.

Pigs that dig humongous holes in our yard.

Very bad fuel exhast from many of the cars here. No regulation.

When people (parents, adults, older kids, grandparents) hit little kids for no reason which is all the time.

2 comments:

ACL said...

This IS hilarious!

I still wish I could learn Tongan so I can visit the place some day.

Would people hate to have a "miko" around?

LOL - I hope not!

tawni said...

This was funny to read!! There is nothing worse than mosquitoes in your ear at night. Its so creepy!